Back to Black
Trade is critical to a country's economic success. But what if a country just can't get back to black?
Every government wants to operate at a surplus, but sometimes this is not possible for growing economies. Just like growing businesses, sometimes governments must incur debt to make economic investments in things such as infrastructure, business, and education. Is our obsession with an economic surplus really all it is cracked up to be? Maybe not...
- World Economic Forum: Here's why it's time to ditch our obsession with trade deficits
- Forbes: Why China Won't Replace the U.S. as the World's Superpower
- The Independent: There’s much to admire about the German economy. But its massive trade surplus is not one of them
- The New York Times: Trump Hates the Trade Deficit, Most Economists Don't
- CBS Money Watch: Government Deficits: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- International Monetary Fund: Back to Basics